Hartlett injury sours big Imperials win

Imperials co-coach Adam Hartlett.
Picture: Louise Barker
Imperials co-coach Adam Hartlett. Picture: Louise Barker

A SUSPECTED Achilles tendon injury to key forward Adam Hartlett soured a 103-point win in which Imperials kept Wentworth goalless on Saturday.

Hartlett was stretchered from the ground directly to the changerooms and was later taken to hospital by ambulance for scans after going down midway through the final term of the Sunraysia Football Netball League round 7 match.

"Hopefully it's nothing too major, his thoughts were he'd pulled his Achilles but he didn't really know," co-coach Brad Hards said.

"He's just taking it pretty cautiously ... but it didn't feel too nice for him, he said, so who knows -- hopefully it's not (an Achilles injury).

"He'll have to get some scans and see exactly what it is."

Dylan Hill was dominant up forward with seven goals for an Imperials side that simply outclassed Wentworth in a remarkable 15.17 (107) to 0.4 (4) scoreline.

Elsewhere, the grand final rematch at Blackburn Park lived up to its billing as Ouyen United held off an extraordinary comeback from Irymple to win by one point.

Reigning premiers Irymple came from 50 points down in the third term to almost snatch an unlikely victory, but Ouyen United prevailed 14.12 (96) to 14.11 (95) to remain unbeaten.

At Kenny Park, South Mildura notched a hard-earned second win of the season after seeing off a gallant Merbein.

The Magpies looked a real chance to open their account for the year as they led by 11 points at half time and were within a goal at the final change, before the Bulldogs ran out 14.12 (96) to 12.7 (79) winners.

In the night game at Quandong Park, Red Cliffs were too strong for an undermanned Mildura, running away with a 16.13 (109) to 6.6 (42) win.

Round 7 of A Grade netball incredibly featured two draws, as the top two sides Ouyen United and Irymple shared the honours in a 38-38 result while Imperials and Wentworth were tied at 39-39 at the final whistle.

Mildura broke though for their first win of the with a 57-36 defeat of Red Cliffs and South Mildura were too good for Merbein, winning 59-43.