Victorians will be able to eat and drink inside restaurants, cafes and pubs again from the start of June, under an easing of coronavirus restrictions.
But Premier Daniel Andrews has stressed patrons and business owners must follow an "extensive set of rules" to keep people safe from COVID-19.
Venues will be able to host up to 20 people in an enclosed space from June 1, with that number increasing to 50 from June 22 and to 100 during the second half of July.
For the time being, pubs will only be allowed to have people inside for sit-down meals and won't be able to open their public bars.
Cafes, restaurants and pubs have only been able to offer takeaways in the state since late March.
The changes come after another 50,000 tests were conducted in the past week, giving the state government confidence that rates of community transmission in the state are low.
Victoria has moved more slowly than other states in allowing patrons back into eating and dining venues, with NSW outlets allowed to have 10 patrons since Friday.
But the premier said by waiting a little longer, Victorian restaurants will be able to open with more people, and may eventually be able to fully reopen sooner.
Mr Andrews urged patrons and venues to follow a "long and extensive set of rules" for the coming weeks.
Patrons will need to leave their name and contact details to enter a venue and keep 1.5 metres apart, while staff will have to be screened to ensure they don't have symptoms.
Rules will be finalised in consultation with the hospitality industry in the coming week.
Mr Andrews said earlier in the week that many businesses had told the government they couldn't be viable with only 10 patrons.