Man faces violence charges

A SUNRAYSIA man who fled the region eight years ago after family violence allegations has been brought before Mildura Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecutor Senior Constable Matt Pardon said the 29-year-old came to the attention of police on Thursday when they saw him in the driver’s seat of a car on Flora Avenue, swapping seats with his passenger.

Police pulled the car over and found the man had never held a driver’s licence and had two outstanding warrants for his arrest.

He was remanded in custody.

Sen-Constable Pardon said the outstanding charges were of intentionally causing injury and false imprisonment dating back to 2011.

He said in July that year, while living with his then partner, the accused verbally and physically assaulted the woman and would not let her out of his sight, at times telling her she could not leave her room, go to the bathroom or attend to her baby.

The man took away the victim’s phone and physically assaulted her on multiple occasions, including punching her in the back of the head and kicking her in the ribs as she cowered on the floor, the court heard. 

She sustained an arm injury during the alleged assault and suspected it was broken.

However, the accused allegedly refused to let her leave the house for treatment.

The woman took refuge at a friend’s house and sought medical treatment. The man then fled.

He was arrested in October 2017, denied the allegations and was released pending summons but failed to appear.

The victim also left the state and Mildura police located her living under another name last year.

The court heard the man was released from jail in NSW this year after serving 14 months for stalking and common assault.

In his self-represented bail application on Friday, the accused said he had full-time work on a local block and no longer drank alcohol.

He said if bailed he would live in Gol Gol with his elderly father.

Magistrate Gerard Lethbridge said while he was facing very serious charges, the man had no criminal history in Victoria and there might be a lengthy delay before a hearing. 

The man was bailed to appear before Mildura Magistrates’ Court on August 7.

For this story, purchase your copy of Monday's Sunraysia Daily 08/07/2019. To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here