'Stay 200 km away': Frecker bailed on strict conditions

AN Irymple man has been banned from coming within 200km of Mildura after being ­released on more than 10 strict bail conditions as he awaits ­committal over alleged serious assaults of two Sunraysia women.

Magistrate John Hardy warned Jake Samuel Frecker that not even a family illness or tragedy would be reason for him to enter the region after his lengthy bail application before Mildura Magistrates’ Court yesterday. 

Frecker, 25, is accused of ­assaulting two ex-partners, most recently in January, when he allegedly punched the victim twice in the head, knocking her unconscious, following a fight between the pair.

The victim suffered severe ­facial injuries, including a fractured eye socket that required surgery in Melbourne.

During Frecker’s self-represented bail application yesterday, he said while on five months’ remand he had completed programs to deal with alcohol, anger management and relationship issues and had “grown as a person”.

Frecker said he had been promised full-time employment if released and pleaded with the court that his legal fees had placed a ­financial burden on his family and he was at risk of defaulting on his mortgage if ­unable to work. 

He proposed to live at either his Irymple home or that of his mother, however police informant Detective Senior Constable Anthony Lee said the addresses were “totally inappropriate” given they were close to one of the victims.

Sen-Constable Lee said if Frecker lived nearby, it would cause a significant setback to the victim’s rehabilitation and mental health, telling the court ­neither victim wanted him ­released.

Mr Hardy said while there was a strong case in relation to the charges of recklessly causing serious injury, the intent to cause serious injury was often difficult to prove.

He said given Frecker did not have a criminal history and the earliest trial date would not be until next March – by which time Frecker would have been on remand for more than a year – there was a compelling reason to grant bail.

Mr Hardy said to protect the victims, Frecker would be bailed to his father’s address in Dimboola, almost 300km from Mildura.

He would also be banned from coming within 200km of the city, except to attend the committal hearing, however, he must leave within two hours of its completion.

Other bail conditions included Frecker not attend any venues licensed to serve alcohol, not drive any vehicle – to prevent any temptation to come to Mildura – and not leave Victoria.

 Mr Hardy also banned Frecker from drinking alcohol and placed him under an 8pm to 6am curfew.

Frecker will next appear at Mildura Magistrates’ Court on September 10 for a committal hearing, to determine whether the case goes to trial.

For this story, purchase your copy of Wednesday's Sunraysia Daily 26/06/2019. To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here