Police find methamphetamine bag under Seventeenth Street doormat

A MILDURA man, charged with trafficking the drug ice, was found with three shotguns under his bed when police searched his home, a court has heard.

Jarrod Brian Hynes yesterday pleaded guilty to a string of drugs and firearms posession charges before the Mildura Magistrates’ Court, and will be sentenced at a sitting of the County Court.

The local court was told between July 5 and September 12 last year, Hynes was on bail when police searched the Seventeenth Street, Mildura, home he was living at, despite his bail address being in Wentworth.

When police looked under the doormat to gain entry to the property, they instead found a bag of methamphetamine.

After entering the house and backyard sheds, officers found numerous bags of the drug, which totalled almost 60g.

During a search of Hynes’ bedroom, police found three firearms with shortened barrels and serial numbers scratched off and another gun in a shed with various calibres.

At the time Hynes was prohibited from possessing a firearm.

A wallet containing $4200 cash, believed to be the proceeds of crime, was also found along with documents containing details of drug transactions.

An analysis of Hynes’ phone revealed frequent communication about drug trafficking and conversations with 12 known drug dealers.

Police estimated between the offence dates, Hynes was trafficking about three ounces of ice each day.

Hynes’ counsel told the court the quantity of drugs found was less than the 50g purity threshold for a commercial trafficking charge.

He said Hyne’s criminal history began in 2016 when he had “fallen in with the wrong crowd” after beginning a relationship with his now ex-partner.

The barrister argued the matter could be dealt with in the magistrates’ court, however Magistrate Andrew McKenna said the amount found was at the high end of a trafficking charge and, given the use of ice in the Sunraysia area was “extreme”, Hynes’ case should be elevated to the County Court.

Hynes has been in custody for nine months and was remanded to appear before the County Court on October 21.

This story appears in Saturday's Sunraysia Daily, 8/6/2019. To subscribe to our Digital Edition, click here