THE level of intent behind an alleged serious assault will be a focus at a committal hearing in September.
Jake Samuel Frecker is facing numerous charges including recklessly causing serious injury, assault and unlawful imprisonment over a January incident that left a female victim in a serious condition in hospital.
The 25-year-old Irymple man’s counsel yesterday told Mildura Magistrates’ Court there were a number of circumstances that showed Frecker lacked intent.
She told Magistrate Andrew McKenna Frecker and the victim had been at a party drinking for about five hours on the night of the alleged assault.
The court was told when the pair began arguing, Frecker left and drove to his house before the victim “voluntarily” went to his house to continue the dispute.
Frecker remains on remand after bail was refused in February, when the court was told he twice punched the victim in the head, knocking her unconscious.
The victim suffered serious facial injuries that required treatment in Melbourne.
He is also charged with recklessly causing injury and property damage between September and November 2017, related to a second female victim.
Five witnesses are expected to be called at a committal hearing on September 10 to determine whether there is enough evidence for the case to go to trial.
For this story, purchase your copy of Wednesday's Sunraysia Daily 15/05/2019. To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here