Murder-accused Paul Cohrs faces court

Paul Cohrs
Paul Cohrs

PAUL Cohrs remained solemn and expressionless as he appeared before court today for the first time since he was charged with the shooting murder of his mother at Red Cliffs last October.

More than a dozen family members of slain grandmother Bette Cohrs turned out in support of the victim who was shot at her property on October 30 last year while a four-year-old child was present. 

The Victorian Police Homicide Squad charged Paul Cohrs with the 82-year-old's murder on November 9 last year.

He has also been questioned over the killing of his brother Raymond Cohrs, 63, who was shot dead at the accused's Lake Victoria property in New South Wales the same day, where a real estate agent was restrained by unknown means. 

Paul Cohrs appeared via video link at Mildura Magistrates' Court today, with a handful of those close to him seated in the front row for the committal mention, which lasted just eight minutes. 

Wearing a green prison issued t-shirt and now brandishing a bushy white beard, the 59-year-old spoke few words, shifting his gaze from a video camera to the floor.

His defence counsel, Mildura-based lawyer Kate Hancock, asked Magistrate Andrew Capell for a six-week adjournment to allow further discussions to take place in relation to the NSW matter over which the accused has not yet been charged.

Ms Hancock said her client had been interviewed by NSW Police and they were trying to streamline the matter as best they could across the two jurisdictions.

She told Mr Capell her defence relied on obtaining further information about the NSW offence and associated timeline, in order to correlate it with what was alleged by Victoria Police.

OPP prosecutor Jennifer Taylor said she was ready for the Victorian matter to proceed and did not seek any further material, however she did not oppose the adjournment. 

Mr Capell noted there been no application made for bail, before telling Paul Cohrs he was remanded to April 31 for a further committal mention, to which he acknowledged with a nod before thanking the magistrate.

This story appears in Wednesday's Sunraysia Daily 20/03/2019. To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here