‘Inactive’ teen back in jail

A TEENAGE burglar whose ambition was to have a party on his release from custody will have to postpone celebrations after he was jailed last week.

The Mildura Magistrates’ Court was told 19-year-old Harley Macdonald showed no remorse after he was caught breaking into the Red Cliffs Secondary College in June last year.

The court was told a Corrections Victoria assessment found Macdonald showed a complete disregard for the offending, had a lack of motivation and said there would be a party on his return home.

Police prosecutor Senior Constable Raef Oliver told the court Macdonald went to the Red Cliffs Secondary School on his scooter on the night of June 28 last year and began trying handles to doors and windows of school buildings.

He entered a school portable and searched through draws and desks before entering a second building, which activated a silent alarm.

Sen-Constable Oliver said a witness saw Macdonald and remained with him at the school until police arrived.

The court was told Macdonald was wearing four pairs of trousers and two jumpers and on a search of the area police discovered an open classroom window and a fly-wire screen that had been pulled from its frame, but nothing stolen.

The prosecutor said Macdonald failed to attend at court three times and breached conditions of bail when he was staying at a friend’s house, claiming there was no power at his own home.

Sen-Constable Oliver said that while in custody at the Mildura police cells, Macdonald scraped a wall to remove a 50 centimetre length of grout filler which he began swinging around.

The teenager later told police he damaged the police cell because he was bored.

Defence counsel Hugh Middleton said his client was in a state of “general malaise”.

Mr Middleton said Macdonald did not work, did not receive Centrelink benefits and tended to stick around Red Cliffs riding his skateboard or bicycle, adding “he hasn’t done too much”.

“It’s just a matter for him to get organised,” Mr Middleton said.

The counsel said that since leaving school Macdonald had been in a state of inactivity.

“He has to get some organisational structure in his life,” Mr Middleton said.

He said it was hoped that being in custody for the past week would trigger the teen to get “back on track”.

Questioned by Magistrate Andrew Capell about his future prospects, Macdonald said: “I’ll try my hardest to do what I need to.”

However, Mr Capell said the accused had repeatedly failed to show up to court and showed no remorse for his actions.

Macdonald was jailed for 14 days, with six days already served, and ordered to complete 75 hours of community work including participating in drug and alcohol abuse and rehabilitation programs.

“I want you to think about your choices,” Mr Capell told Macdonald.

For this story, purchase your copy of Monday's Sunraysia Daily 18/03/2019. To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide