Court’s message: Man placed on corrections order for harrassing ex-partner

A FORMER SFNL footballer who repeatedly contacted his former partner, even after she blocked his phone number, has been placed on a corrections order.

The 41-year-old’s de facto of six years ended their relationship earlier this year.

Mildura Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday heard the man repeatedly contacted the woman after she cut ties with him, at one point sending her 238 messages in 26 days.

When she blocked his number, the man turned to email – sending her 25 messages over a 13-day period after finding out his number had been blocked.

A victim impact statement read to the court by a police prosecutor on the woman’s behalf detailed the “months of anguish” she had endured while trying to escape her former partner’s constant contact.

She said the constant messages had  affected her education and career, caused her stress and anxiety and made her afraid of accepting friend requests on social media because she feared a new connection could be her ex-partner trying to follow her movements under a different identity.

The man’s lawyer, Bert Hilton-Wood, said his client had been trying to contact the woman to “set the record straight” regarding certain “falsehoods” she believed about him.

The man pleaded guilty to the offences.

Magistrate Michael Coghlan said the man should have realised his former partner did not wish to have any contact with him by the time she blocked his number.

The man was fined $1000 and placed on a 12-month corrections order requiring him to undergo supervision, programs to reduce the risk of reoffending and mental health assessment.

For this story, purchase your copy of Friday's Sunraysia Daily 12/10/2018. To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop