GEELONG AFLW star Melissa Hickey believes the AFL will make the best decision it can in regards to the 2019 AFLW fixture.
The Sunraysia export and former Melbourne marquee player said she and other AFLW players and commentators may have “jumped the gun” in criticism of the AFL after reports emerged last week the 2019 season may be shortened to six home and away games despite the competition expanding to 10 teams including the Cats and North Melbourne.
“Obviously, as players, it is a topic we are very passionate about so I think when there were whispers about it being six games I think everyone reacted pretty emotionally and passionately,” Hickey said.
“The committee met for the first time (this week) and obviously they were put there to discuss the future of the game and what it might look like.
“The more I’m learning about it, there’s quite a lot to factor into it.
“I have no doubt the AFL are invested in this and they want the best for the league as well as we do. I think there’s still plenty to be worked through and I think we’ve all maybe gone too hard too early.”
For more of this story, purchase your copy of Thursday's Sunraysia Daily 9-8-2018. To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here