No family deserves this: Crisp says Belejs let down by Victoria's justice system

Karen Belej’s mother
Louise (middle) leaves court
last year during the trial of
Brandon Osborn, who was
later jailed for nine years for
killing Karen. Ms Belej was
supported by her son Chris.

Karen Belej’s mother Louise (middle) leaves court last year during the trial of Brandon Osborn, who was later jailed for nine years for killing Karen. Ms Belej was supported by her son Chris.

THE decision-making process which saw a murder charge against the killer of Mildura White Ribbon ambassador Karen Belej reduced to a plea to the lesser charge of manslaughter has been labelled “awful”.

Thirty-seven-year-old Brandon Leigh Osborn was sentenced in September last year to a maximum nine years’ jail over Ms Belej’s death at her Cardross home in May 2016.

He was initially charged with murder but the Director of Public Prosecutions cut a deal with Osborn’s legal team which saw him plead guilty to manslaughter and avoid trial on the murder charge.

Speaking in State Parliament this week, Member for Mildura Peter Crisp said the judicial system had failed the Belej family who were left “totally stunned and devastated” when they learned the murder charge against their daughter and sister’s killer had been reduced to manslaughter.

“The judicial system has struggled, in their case, to provide them with the support that they need,” Mr Crisp said.

For more of this story, purchase your copy of Thursday's Sunraysia Daily 9-8-2018. To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop