Cycad warning: Pet danger in backyard plant

Benetook Veterinary Clinic senior vet Jennifer Nesci with Jessica Basibuyak and her dog Kuma, who ate the potentially fatal cycad plant.Picture: Carmel Zaccone

Benetook Veterinary Clinic senior vet Jennifer Nesci with Jessica Basibuyak and her dog Kuma, who ate the potentially fatal cycad plant.Picture: Carmel Zaccone

A HIGHLY poisonous plant commonly found in Mildura could have claimed the life of a dog that ingested it at the weekend.

Jessica Basibuyuk has warned pet owners of the danger after she rushed her dog Kuma to Benetook Veterinary Clinic on Saturday after he dug out and ate the bulb of the toxic cycad plant in his owner’s backyard.

 “He seemed very unwell, looked flat and started vomiting,” Ms Basibuyuk said.

For more of this story, purchase your copy of Friday's Sunraysia Daily 13/07/2018. To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop