Man fails in court release bid

A YOUNG man has failed in his plea to be released from custody after he allegedly threatened to kill a 15-year-old girl with a pair of scissors while on bail.

The Mildura Magistrates’ Court was told the 18-year-old had twice been granted Children’s Court bail within a month before the latest incident late last week.

The court was told the man had been in an “intimate” one-month relationship with the alleged victim when the couple went to a Mildura address with a number of other people last week.

The court was told the accused had smoked cannabis that evening and when the 15-year-old agreed to an invitation to stay with a friend that night, the man ­became enraged and told her “you’re staying with me”.

The man is accused of then dragging the girl by the hair, punching and kicking her and threatening to jump on her head if she did not stay with him.

The court was told the man then pulled out a long pair of scissors, pointed them at her and threatened to kill her and stab her “all over the face”.

He then dragged her away by the hair, telling her that he might as well snap her neck, the court heard.

When the man was arrested by police the following morning he is alleged to have removed a pair of scissors from an item of clothing.

Police opposed the man’s self-represented bail application, saying they feared for the alleged victim’s safety and that he had committed further offences when previously granted bail in a Children’s Court.

A magistrate yesterday refused his bid for freedom, describing his matters as “a challenging situation”.

For this story, purchase your copy of Tuesday's Sunraysia Daily 22/05/2018.To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop