Blaze leaves a family homeless

CFA crews hose down the ruins of the Commercial Street house yesterday. Picture: Ben Gross

CFA crews hose down the ruins of the Commercial Street house yesterday. Picture: Ben Gross

A MERBEIN family has been left homeless after their house was gutted by fire yesterday. 

Crews from Merbein and Mildura fire brigades were called to the scene in Commercial Street, Merbein, about 1.30pm to find tall flames and smoke billowing from the house. 

“On arrival, the fire was pretty well established up into the roof of the house,” Mildura Fire Brigade senior ­station officer Malcolm Hayes said. 

Mr Hayes said the fire – which took crews more than half an hour to bring under control – was believed to have started in a dryer or washing machine in the laundry. 

For more of this story, purchase your copy of Wednesday's Sunraysia Daily 18/04/2018.To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop