Blackbelt denies using ‘fly kick’

A TAEKWONDO blackbelt denies "fly kicking" another man in an early morning brawl that left the victim with serious facial injuries.

Branden Sandiman, 22, appeared in Mildura Magistrates' Court on Tuesday to contest charges, including including recklessly causing serious injury and affray.

The court heard Sandiman and a group of friends clashed with another group near Langtree Avenue and Eighth Street after leaving Doms Nightclub about 3am on August 4.

Tensions between the two groups were sparked by a remark the victim's friend made in the nightclub, where the victim had been celebrating his 36th birthday.

Police separated the two groups to prevent tensions escalating and they went their separate ways.

But when the victim and his friends made their way to Deakin Avenue near Chaffey Secondary College about 45 minutes later, they were confronted by Sandiman and his co-accused.

The victim fought back after being punched in the head and was then grabbed from behind and punched, kicked and jumped on.

He lost consciousness from the attack and was later taken to Mildura Base Hospital with multiple fractures to the left side of his face, a severely bruised eye and four broken ribs.

The court heard Sandiman told police in an interview after his arrest that he punched the victim once before placing him in a recovery position on the ground.

Sandiman's defence barrister Neil Howard said that interview was the only evidence his client was involved in the fight at all.

Mr Howard dismissed suggestions Sandiman had a greater involvement in the fight, including a claim from one of the co-accused that Sandiman "fly kicked" the victim.

"No one, not even the complainant, says he was fly kicked," Mr Howard said.

Mr Howard said the defence would argue Sandiman did not go with his two co-accused down Deakin Avenue but instead arrived at the scene of the fight independently.

He said CCTV footage would show Sandiman travelling down Langtree Avenue to Thirteenth Street while the co-accused made their way along Deakin Avenue.

"He has no interest in fighting," he said.

"What happened at Eighth and Langtree was dead and buried as far as Sandiman is concerned."

Magistrate Gerard Lethbridge adjourned the matter until later this month.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide