Funeral bid refused: Knife attack charges ‘very serious’ – magistrate

A MILDURA man’s plea to be released from custody to attend his brother’s funeral has been refused following a serious knife attack on his de facto partner.

The Mildura Magistrates’ Court was yesterday told 31-year-old Adam Hudson was arrested on a charge of intentionally causing ­serious injury only after he crashed the car he was driving into a ­police vehicle following a pursuit in NSW.

The court was told Hudson served a term of imprisonment for evading police and other charges before being extradited to Victoria to face charges relating to the 2015 attack, which left a woman with numerous stab wounds.

Detective Senior Constable Matt Pascoe told the court the victim called Hudson in the early hours of May 26, 2015, and asked him to take her to a McDonald’s restaurant to buy food.

Sen-Constable Pascoe said the pair returned to an Olive Avenue address, where an argument erupted about 5am.

He said the victim exited the car and told Hudson “f--- off you junkie”.

The court was told Hudson rushed at the woman and struck her with a “sharp-bladed weapon”, telling her: “Die you dog, die you dog.”

Sen-Constable Pascoe said the victim’s mother armed herself with a broom to fend off Hudson before he left the area.

The court was told the victim suffered serious cuts to her arm and back and when Hudson was eventually questioned about the offence in June this year he 

gave police a “no comment” interview.

Sen-Constable Pascoe said he was concerned that, if granted bail, Hudson was a risk of flight, further offending and interfering with witnesses.

The court heard that while Hudson had complied with conditions of parole following his release from custody in September last year, he was yet to be sentenced for previously breaching conditions of a court-imposed community corrections order.

In refusing Hudson’s application for bail, Magistrate Michael Coghlan said that while he understood the accused’s desire to attend the funeral of his brother, the ­injuries suffered by the woman were “significant” and “shocking”.

Mr Coghlan said failures by Hudson to attend at Corrections Victoria on numerous occasions and to undergo treatment as required was also a “cause of concern”.

He said the accused took part in reckless behaviour when police attempted to intercept him in May 2015 and the charges for which he now faced were “very serious”.

Hudson was remanded in custody to reappear on September 5 to have the breaching CCO matters dealt with. 

He will next face committal proceedings over the knife attack on November 2.

For more of this story, purchase your copy of Wednesday's Sunraysia Daily 09/08/2017.To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop