Ticking time bomb: Souvlaki shop owner sounds warning after CBD fire

THE owner of Mildura’s Souvlaki Inn is pleading with other local businesses to check their roofs for flammable material after a fire caused extensive damage to the popular venue on Saturday night.

Souvlaki Inn owner Evan Algate in his fire-damaged business yesterday. The extensive damage means he will be closed for five weeks.

Souvlaki Inn owner Evan Algate in his fire-damaged business yesterday. The extensive damage means he will be closed for five weeks.

Unknown to owner Evan Algate his Langtree Avenue shop, which he and his wife bought 18 months ago, was a ticking time bomb. 

The insulation used in the ceiling of the business was made from straw, which is rarely used in food establishments due to the hazard of it catching alight, which is exactly what happened on Saturday night.

For more of this story, purchase your copy of Thursday's Sunraysia Daily 20-4-2017. To subscribe to our Digital Edition Click here

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop