POLICE have launched an investigation into the disappearance of Mildura toddler Dante Berry, who they now believe may have been abducted.
Detective Senior Constable Paul McNulty yesterday said Mildura Police were now treating the case as suspicious.
He said evidence suggested someone may have abducted the two-year-old boy, who was later found wandering in scrubland about 3.5kms from his home.
Dante was rescued at 10am Wednesday last week – about 14 hours after he was last seen – by two police officers who were part of a 40-strong search party.
“We’re continuing to conduct inquiries regarding the missing child Dante,” Sen-Constable McNulty said yesterday.
“We believe the circumstances of his disappearance are suspicious.”
Police initially said they did not believe Dante’s disappearance was suspicious, but an examination of the toddler immediately after he had been found suggested otherwise.
Dante was treated for mild hypothermia, dehydration, minor cuts and abrasions at Mildura Base Hospital.
“The injuries noted by the medical practitioners are not consistent with either trouncing through the shrub and being out in the conditions of the night for 14 hours,” Sen-Constable McNulty said.